Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Glimpses of fall color are becoming more common around the state, a telltale sign that autumn has begun, and Ohio’s trees are about to begin their colorful transformation. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) will offer updates throughout October to help people plan their fall color viewing excursions.“The weather is settling in nicely with bright, sunny days and cool evenings, which will provide the vibrant colors of fall in Ohio,” said ODNR Fall Color Forester Casey Burdick. “Honeylocusts are showing golden and yellow shades while maples, especially along the edges of woods and in urban areas, are showing some early blushes of red.”Ohioans are encouraged to get outside and enjoy the season at Ohio’s state parks, forests, nature preserves and wildlife areas where entry is always free. Hiking, biking, running and paddling provide excellent opportunities to take in the colorful woodland scenes while getting great exercise. Rounds of golf, including disc golf, can be played on beautiful, award-winning courses at several state parks and offer another chance to appreciate the season. And don’t forget this is the time of year for collecting buckeyes as the trees are dropping their pods full of buckeye nuts. Plus, Ohio’s native fruit, paw paws, are also dropping to the ground.People interested in finding the most eye-catching leaves throughout the fall color season should check fallcolor.ohiodnr.gov, Ohio’s official guide to the changing colors. This website includes:Weekly color updates and information to help plan a fall color adventure.Weekly videos from Burdick highlighting fall color hot spots around the state.Links to fall activities, scenic road trips, unique overnight accommodations at Ohio State Parks and more.
Former minister Navjot Kaur Sidhu said on Saturday the gateman responsible for closing the railway barrier could have alerted the driver to slow down the train as several people were standing on the rail tracks.Ms. Sidhu was the chief guest of the Dussehra celebrations held near Joda Phatak in Amritsar where 59 revellers were mowed down by a train. She was accused of leaving the site of accident without bothering about the victims. She said several announcements were made from the stage at the event, requesting people to come inside the Dhobi ghat to watch the burning effigies. The railway man who was responsible for closing the barrier should have seen that Dusshera event was being held there, she said. “Could he not see the train coming and the people standing on the railway track? He was there on the spot. He could have alerted the driver to slow down the train. “People were just looking at Ravana’s effigy being burnt. They were not seeing that a train was coming,” Ms. Sidhu told reporters. She said people should not indulge in a blame game over the tragedy. She said Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh had already ordered a probe and after four weeks, everyone would come to know who was at fault.Ms. Sidhu said before she went on the dais, four to five announcements were made from the stage, urging people not to stand on railway tracks. “They were told that there was enough space at the Dhobi Ghat ground and they could come there but the people did not listen to the requests,” said Ms. Sidhu. To a question on the permissions granted for the event, Ms. Sidhu said she had seen two to three permissions which were obtained by the organiser. She said the Dusshera event had been held there for the last 40 years. To a query, she said she was just 15 minutes late in attending the function.Ms. Sidhu said when she came to know about the incident she immediately went to the hospital to see the patients. “I even arranged doctors so the injured gets treatment. Being a doctor, I provided medical treatment to some of them,” she said. The opposition on Friday had targeted Navjot Kaur Sidhu, a former MLA and wife of Cabinet minister Navjot Singh Sidhu, claiming she allegedly left the venue without bothering the victims.The SAD leader and former minister Bikram Singh Majithia had accused Ms. Sidhu of running away from the accident site. read more
Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics00:50Trending Articles05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. PH fights for gold in men’s squash Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief The referee called Yerzhan’s attention numerous times in the match for clinching and using his arms to ward off the 2015 bronze medalist, but despite the warnings, the bout went on, with Yerzhan possibly earning points solely for his grit.Not helping Ladon’s case was him failing to land his power punches, which could have helped his case when the match went to the scorecards.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWith Ladon bowing out early, the Philippines’ hopes are left on the shoulders of Dannel Maamo in the flyweight division.However, his path to the championship is expected to be a rocky one as he braces for top-seed Yosvany Veitia of Cuba. Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games FILE PHOTO – Rogen Ladon.Rogen Ladon bid in the 17th AIBA World Championship came to a sudden halt as he suffered a stunning split decision defeat to Zhomart Yerzhan of Kazakhstan at the Sporthalle in Hamburg, Germany.Seeded fifth in the light flyweight tourney and already getting a bye in the round-of-16, Ladon had a tough time dispatching his Kazakh foe as he was matched with a feisty challenger from the start.ADVERTISEMENT read more
Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ MOST READ Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “It was Griezmann’s best match so far this season,” Simeone said.Raul Garcia netted an injury-time goal for Athletic, which has now lost two in a row after an unbeaten start.Winning streakSevilla kept its momentum thanks to Jesus Navas’ 83rd-minute winner at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan.He scored from a difficult angle to give the hosts their fourth consecutive win to start the league.The match marked the return of striker Victor “Vitolo” Machin, who left Sevilla in the offseason to join Atletico Madrid but is playing on a loan with Las Palmas until January. He was constantly jeered by Sevilla fans.Rough startDeportivo La Coruna handed Alaves its fifth straight loss with a 1-0 victory at the Riazor Stadium.Luisinho scored in first-half injury time to give the hosts their first win after three losses in the first four matches.Malaga is the only other team to have lost all of its matches so far. It was routed 5-0 at Valencia on Tuesday. Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Brady, Belichick donate to J.J. Watt’s hurricane relief fund Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. No goalsLeganes and Girona failed to take their chances in a goalless first meeting in the top flight.Both teams created clear scoring opportunities but Leganes, playing in the Liga for the second season, had to settle for a point with promoted Girona.Leganes stayed in the top half of the standings, in eighth place, while Girona was 14th.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Second-place Sevilla moved within two points of Barcelona by beating Las Palmas 1-0 for its fourth consecutive league victory.Third-place Atletico won 2-1 at Athletic Bilbao.Frail homeReal Betis players celebrated as if they had won a title after the stunning win over Madrid at the Bernabeu.“We knew we were coming to play in a complicated stadium, but the team put in a great effort and got rewarded with the late goal,” Sanabria said.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Paraguayan striker Antoino Sanabria scored the winner with a header from close range to give Betis its first win against Madrid at the Bernabeu since 1998.The result ended Madrid’s streak of 73 consecutive games scoring at least one goal, keeping it from surpassing the record scoring run established by Brazilian club Santos starring Pele in 1963.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingMadrid, which was coming off home draws against Valencia and Levante, is seven points behind Barcelona after five games. It trails Betis by one point.“This gap to the lead won’t change the way we do things,” Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said. “We will keep fighting. It’s a long championship.” ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Real Madrid’s forward from Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo kneels on the field during the Spanish league football match Real Madrid CF against Real Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on September 20, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / GABRIEL BOUYSMADRID—Real Madrid’s faltering start to the Spanish league season continued on Wednesday with a shock 1-0 defeat at home to Real Betis.A day after league leader Barcelona routed Eibar 6-1 with four goals by Lionel Messi for its fifth win in a row, Madrid conceded an injury-time goal to remain winless in its three league games so far at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups Betis took advantage of a great performance by goalkeeper Antonio Adan and a bad night by Madrid’s forwards, including Cristiano Ronaldo, who was making his league debut after serving a five-game suspension for shoving a referee in the Spanish Super Cup final last month.“It was bad luck after all the chances that we created,” Madrid midfielder Casemiro said.Ronaldo had played only three other matches with Madrid this season, including against APOEL in the team’s Champions League debut, when he scored twice.“This is not the start we wanted after three games at home,” Zidane said. “We didn’t expect this.”Key winAtletico Madrid moved closer to the lead by earning a hard-fought 2-1 away victory against Athletic Bilbao.Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak stopped Aritz Aduriz’s penalty kick before halftime and Angel Correa and Yannick Carrasco scored second-half goals to leave the Madrid side within four points of leader Barcelona.It was the second consecutive win for Atletico, which remains unbeaten after five rounds.“To win in this stadium you need to play a great match and I think we did that,” Atletico coach Diego Simeone said. “We controlled the game and were very effective. It’s a very important triumph for us.”Correa opened the scoring from inside the area after a cross by Jorge “Koke” Resurreccion in the 55th minute, and Carrasco added to the lead with a low shot into the far corner after a well-placed pass by Antoine Griezmann in the 73rd. Griezmann had also helped set up the first goal with a pass to Koke. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim View comments read more
Earlier this week, UMass officially hired former Georgia Tech senior associate director of athletics Ryan Bamford to become its new AD. It didn’t take long for Bamford to try to leverage his roots.Bamford, responding to a congratulatory message from Michael Strickland, the senior associate commissioner of football for the ACC, joked that he wanted to get UMass in as the 16th league member. Pretty smooth.@mgstrick @GeorgiaTechFB Thanks Michael! How about @UMassAthletics as the 16th #ACC member?!?— Ryan Bamford (@UMassADBamford) March 24, 2015No, this will never happen – both for competitive reasons and geographical reasons. But if it somehow did, UConn fans would go ballistic. UMass’ conference affiliation is actually quite complicated – you can read more about it here. Regardless, the Minutemen won’t be in the ACC any time soon. read more
Tina HouseAPTN NewsThe first meal Adrienne Rain Flinn-Neeposh had after a four day hunger strike to protest the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project was a cup of milk and a strawberry.“The first day is always the easiest but there’s lotss of smiles,” she said. “As it moves onto the second day you feel the cold. A thunder storm rolled over and we had periods of intense rain, cold and just the dampness.“It gets harder moving into the third day, that hunger sorta turns into a tiredness.”Flinn-Neeposh went without food or water.(Flinn-Neeposh after ending her hunger strike at the Watchtower. Photo: Tina House/APTN)She called it the Stop TMX (Trans Mountain Pipeline Extension) hunger strike and vision quest.The action started late last week and took place at the watch house near Kinder Morgan’s tank farm on Burnaby mountain.For four days she sat on a patch of grass under a cedar tree, prayed, worked on beading and talked with locals in the area.She said what is happening is now is what her ancestors experienced and doing the hunger strike and vision quest is her way of taking a stand against Trans Mountain project.“We have people among us who have been political prisoners for a very non – crime a very peaceful, a very ceremonial crime that I feel harkens back to the potlatch ban,” said Flinn-Neeposh.“If you watch the videos of the people being arrested they were singing drumming in prayer not threatening not rioting and they were put on stretchers and dragged away.”One of those arrested and imprisoned was Rita Wong.She was one of the ones put onto a stretcher, dragged away and arrested by RCMP in Aug. 2018.Wong was sentenced to 28 days in jail and was just released.She came to the Watchhouse, a building established by members of the Tlseil Wau- tuth Nation to monitor the work at the Kinder Morgan tank farm, to lend her support to Flinn-Neeposh and recalled her experience in jail.“I was treated very kindly by the other inmates in the prison who understood that I was there because I was there for a larger purpose,” she said.(The Watchtower on Burnaby mountain. Photo: Tina House/APTN)Wong is a university professor at Emily Carr and teaches environmental ethics, humanities and creative writing.She said the support she has received has been overwhelming.“I’ve had many people offer to teach my classes I’ve had students break into applause when they found why I was going to be late for class because I was going to be in court,” she said.“I feel grateful our community understands why we are here and why we must protect the land and water from the expansion that none of us can afford.”Work still continues in preparation of the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion.firstname.lastname@example.org@inthehouse7 read more